The Paris Foreign Mission Society (MEP) founded St Peter’s Seminary at Pondicherry in 1778. In 1934, MEP shifted the Seminary to Bangalore. The Seminary introduced Bachelor’s Degree in Theology in 1962 in the academic curriculum affiliating it to the Pontifical Urban University, Rome. In the same year the Congregation for Catholic Education raised it to the status of a Pontifical Seminary.
By its decree “ECCE VIR ORIENS” the Congregation for Catholic Education, on 06.01.1976, the Feast of Epiphany, erected St Peter’s Pontifical Institute of Theology, with specialisation in Missiology and Biblical Theology.